First Year Friday: Introductions Part 2

This academic year, the Mirica group welcomed six first year students to the group: Sagnik, Kevin, Karna, Kai, Katie (Join student with the Murphy Group), and Wesley (Affiliate student in the Burke Lab). This week we asked our three organic and chem bio students to share a little about themselves. Here’s what they had to say.

Karna Terpstra

What is one reason that you decided to work with the Mirica Group?

One reason I decided to work with the Mirica group is based on my interest in using chemistry to study and treat human diseases; I thought the group’s focus on studying and treating complex, multi-faceted diseases with molecules that have multiple functionalities was extremely interesting.

What experience in undergrad motivated you to pursue a graduate degree in Chemistry?

An experience in undergrad that motivated me to pursue a graduate degree in Chemistry was a summer research experience I had in undergrad where I was able to interact with patients in a clinical trial. It was my job to analyze blood biomarkers in these patients to quantify their treatment response. It it was incredibly interesting to observe the physical responses of the patients and then go into the lab and use chemistry to quantify the responses that I had observed in the clinic. This sparked an interest in how medications and diseases have the ability to perturb a person’s internal chemistry. This was when I knew I wanted to pursue a graduate degree in Chemistry so that I could continue using Chemistry to study people and diseases.

What is one of your favorite places?

One of my favorite places is Banff, Alberta. Even though I visited in a bit of a busy season, I was just struck by the tranquility there and how many places there were that took my breath away and forced me to just sit still and observe for a while. I did include a picture of myself in Banff!

Kai Gui

I came into UIUC wanting to do synthesis, but my background was in redox-active metals in the context of targeting cancer. The Mirica group’s work at the intersection of synthesis, metals, and Alzheimer’s was perfect for me to do more synthetic chemistry, while continuing to learn more about metals in disease.

I really enjoyed my biomedical research experiences with the Spitz Lab at the University of Iowa, but my favorite courses to learn and teach was Organic Chemistry. I gained a great appreciation for synthetic organic chemistry reading Classics in Total Synthesis, and I knew that I wanted to apply synthesis to my previous experiences in biomedical science.

What is one of your favorite places?

This past winter break, I visited the cities of Tokyo and Osaka in Japan, and I had the most amazing time. The country was beautiful and the food was delicious. I’m excited to go back soon!

Wesley Wang

Professor Mirica was very open to a collaboration and really sounded like he wanted to fully commit to solving a problem. Also, his realm of work is so new that there’s a lot of room to play around with stuff. 

TBH where I come from everyone wanted to get a PhD so lol.

What is one of your favorite places?

Tokyo, great food, beautiful landscape.