First Year Friday: Introductions Part 1

This academic year, the Mirica group welcomed six first year students to the group: Sagnik, Kevin, Karna, Kai, Katie (Join student with the Murphy Group), and Wesley (Affiliate student in the Burke Lab). This week we asked our three inorganic students to share a little about themselves. Here’s what they had to say.

Sagnik Chakrabarti

What is one reason that you decided to work with the Mirica Group?

The sheer range of skills that I could potentially learn as an inorganic chemist, including, but not limited to synthesis, electrochemistry, EPR/NMR and DFT. It also helped that a couple of my best friends in grad school decided to join the group as well. And I found that the group dynamics suited me pretty well.

What experience in undergrad motivated you to pursue a graduate degree in Chemistry?

Problem solving in the most direct fashion possible – I could predict and verify reactivity by making molecules and interpreting spectra – how cool is that!

What is one of your favorite places?

Stamford Bridge, London, UK. This is the home ground of Chelsea Football Club. And probably the closest I will get to being in a place of worship. Sadly, I haven’t been there yet! 🙁

Stamford Bridge. Photo taken by Jason Bagley. CC BY-SA 2.0

Katie Greskovich

I decided to work with the Mirica group because of their expertise in experimenting with amyloid B peptides. That is a crucial part of my project to create nanoparticle imaging agents for Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Diseases in conjunction with the Murphy group. Also, during my time rotating in the group, I loved the group’s camaraderie. 

During my time in undergraduate research, I really enjoyed working with other people who were passionate world problem-solvers like me. I wanted to continue my education around other people who inspire me to keep learning every day.

What is one of your favorite places?

I grew up on a farm in Ohio, and I love to go back home and help my family during planting season.

Kevin Manuel Medina Nales

The chemistry is great, you can get trained in all sorts of fantastic techniques. But not only that, the group has a great atmosphere and everyone gets along great.  

I guess the more I learned about chemistry the more I wanted to find out. That curiously led me to do research, so here we are.

What is one of your favorite places?

Back home in Puerto Rico, with all of the pets I couldn’t bring over.

Kevin’s dog, Bajari